Friday, April 18, 2014

Public Speaking Success, and an Encore!

I survived March 11th!!!! In fact...

Derek and I have been asked to talk to another counseling graduate class sometime this summer! I still have jitters (I highly doubt those will ever go away) but I'm more comfortable if I don't have to be the lone speaker. I need a buddy. Honestly, the worst part of the whole experience was riding the elevator because..

I'm HORRIBLY claustrophobic.

This isn't something I've acquired from being in a wheelchair. Oh no. I've been this way for ever. In my previous life, the one before the wheelchair, if I had a choice between taking steps or an elevator, the steps always won. My claustrophobia is so bad around elevators, that complete strangers know all about my all-consuming fear. It's been almost six years, but I have a sneaking suspicion two workers at the Empire State Building are still laughing at me.

Why? Well...

When Derek, Shayne, and I visited in 2008, before I was rolled into the elevator, I asked in a small, quivering voice, "Are the elevators well maintained?" The answer was a resounding "Yes!" followed by a bunch of friendly chuckles over my obvious reluctance to get onboard a packed elevator and ride up to the 102nd floor. A little known fact: If you tell the people operating the elevators you are claustrophobic, and you go at a non-crowded time, you can request your own elevator! We did, and that made the experience doable. Barely.

I survived that round trip elevator ride just like I survived my public speaking. And while I'm really looking forward to doing more public speaking with Derek, I am NOT looking forward to my next elevator ride.

Here's a photo of the Thank You card the class sent me (they sent Derek one, too, but I didn't include his). They're so nice!

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment