Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Power of Imagination


In my quest to see things differently, I’ve opted out of the trite method of standing on a desk, lying on the floor, doing a headstand, or looking backward through a mirror. I write fiction, and I use my imagination to picture the bizarre, scary, and disgustingly cute aspects of life even when I’m not writing. Here are some of my examples...
 
Behind the uniform and smile of my friendly mailman lurks the madman plotting ghastly deeds with every mailbox he fills. The woman at the grocery store who rushes ahead of me to be first in line isn’t rude. If she doesn’t finish her shopping within half an hour, she will be doomed to live the rest of her life trapped in another dimension. The auto mechanic who overcharges me becomes Lord of the Rats when his shop closes, and reigns supreme over his disease-ridden minions. How about an even larger example of my out of control imagination...

At my local Walmart, dozens of pigeons live on top of the roof. I think that’s the case with every store. I believe they're hired as security birds. Imagine the scene every morning as each one clocks in, has a miniature camera strapped to their leg, then positions themselves on the roof as proud members of the Security Bird Fleet, or the S.B.F. Their mission: to stop any suspicious person in the parking lot by madly beating their wings against the helpless offender until human help arrives. Ahh, what an interesting place my head is to live and work in. Never a dull moment, that's for sure. If I wasn't a writer, I may just be labeled as a loon. My plots, however, save me from that.

My imagination thought an Agency that protected the Earth's timeline from changing would make a decent story with lots to talk about. She thinks several books will cover the topic, and I agree. We're to the exciting part with kidnappers and rescuers at the almost end of Time School, and she's shouting ideas at me for book two! She came up with a situation about loving someone from one of your past lives, and The Promise rose from our collaboration. I'm in love with three fictional males at once, and hang on every word of their side of the story when my imagination whispers what they're thinking to me. They talk directly to me, too, but my imagination fills in what they leave to her.

She is one of the most powerful and productive resources I own, and I take it as a compliment when someone tells me I have an overactive imagination. If I didn't have her, I'd be so bored!!



No comments:

Post a Comment