Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Becoming My Mother...Or...The Difference Between Richard and Tom Petty


The other day I read Disney Dining's blog, Top Ten “Outside The Box” Things To Do At Walt Disney World. I.E.—no rides. They mentioned something I’ve wanted to do ever since my family and I saw it on our first trip to the Magic Kingdom: The Richard Petty Driving Experience.

 
What is it? You ride on an actual racetrack, in the passenger seat of a racecar that’s driven by a professional driver. Whew. FUN. There are variations to what they offer, based on this general definition, but this is what most people do.

 
My excitement about the blog, my lack of Nascar knowledge, and my love of 1990’s music caused me to blurt out, “Next time we’re at Disney, let’s do The Tom Petty Driving Experience.”

 
Oops.



I realized my mistake about ten seconds later when my husband, laughing, played Mary Jane’s Last Dance, by TOM Petty on YouTube. Sigh. I’m becoming my mother; switching the first and last names of celebrities.



But, my mix up made me think. What would that experience entail?



First and foremost, instead of racing jumpsuits, everyone would be required to wear a costume from Alice in Wonderland. Two reasons why: It’s on Disney property, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8 (Check out the video after you finish reading)



Second, everyone would receive complimentary tea and cookies while they watched a short documentary about Tom Petty’s life and career, in lieu of the instructional video about racing they show if you’re doing The Richard Petty Driving Experience.



Third, you’d pick your car and several Tom Petty albums to listen to as you meandered your way around the racetrack. Your driver would be an expert on Tom, and by the time your ride was finished, you’d know all about Mudcrutch, the Traveling Wilburys, and the Heartbreakers.



Fourth, any herbal extras would be at an additional cost and coincide with the law, but the hookah pipe, with your choice of flavored tobacco would be included to all adults, 18 and over. Your driver’s talents would also include knowing how to smoke one while driving.

 
There you have it…The Tom Petty Driving Experience.



I wonder, when I do experience the real attraction, if the professional driver beside me will ask why I can’t stop giggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment